Tourism Trends | 8 Emerging Trends In Hospitality
Tourism trends are abundant within the hospitality industry. As new technology emerges, brands can implement innovation like never before.
There are many tourism trends that have become mainstream. However, there are some that are new to the scene and are redefining the entire landscape. Read on to learn about traditional and recent tourism trends.
First, it’s important to remember which tourism trends are here to stay. Many traditional tourism trends have been the inspiration for newer innovations, such as restaurant tech and hospitality software.
Some of the more basic trends you’ll see across the board include:
- In Room DIning: Room service is nothing new to the tourism industry. However, newer innovations allow for more advanced features. For instance, many hotels offer contactless payments and deliveries. Businesses offer these services by allowing guests to order room service on online ordering apps or in-room tablets. Not only is this super convenient for guests, but it helps the hotel abide by ADA compliance standards. Nowadays, the ability to order food is inclusive to all.
- Online Booking: Consumers have been making restaurant reservations for a while. But what if we told you that they can reserve slots for other amenities? Hotel rooms, private parties, excursions, and more can be booked online. Plus, brands can set up upselling and cross selling prompts at the final page to maximize profits. Studies also show that consumers who book reservations online are likely to spend about 50% more on excursions, and are twice as likely to leave a review.
- Chatbots: Automation software is super popular within the tourism industry. Online chats are ideal for customer service. They can be available to consumers 24/7 and they free up employee schedules. The best part about chatbots? Companies can set up the automated messages to request customer reviews at the end.
Emerging Trends In Hospitality and Tourism Industry
Now that we’ve discussed some of the standard tourism trends, it’s time to jump into emerging ideas within the hospitality sector. From gamifying standard processes to using innovative restaurant technology in eateries, there’s a lot to cover. Read on to learn more!
1. Contactless Room Delivery
We briefly touched on the concept of traditional room service. However, hotels are implementing the benefits of contact-free payments with this sought-after selling point.
Now, hotel guests can order room service, and the wait staff will leave it outside their door. It’s a little extra touch of convenience and time-efficiency for both parties.
2. Voice Search Capabilities
Voice ordering for restaurants has been one of the newer tourism trends in recent years. One of the best parts about voice ordering features in general is that they help ensure accuracy. Customers can be specific and communicate special requests.
In the hospitality industry, voice ordering can be used in a number of different realms. Guests can use it to place food orders, reach a customer service hotline, book excursions, and more.
3. Virtual Reality (VR) Tours
How cool would it be if future guests could view their space before their arrival? With VR elements, this idea is now a reality (no pun intended)! The cruise line and hotel sectors of the tourism industry can benefit tremendously from this feature.
If consumers are debating between room options or locations, they can check it out for themselves. Businesses can prove just how luxurious their spaces look. Plus, customers will be more comfortable, as they’ll know exactly what to expect.
4. Contactless Payments
If a global pandemic can teach us one thing, it’s that consumers prefer minimal interactions. Since 2020, many tourism trends revolve around health and safety. With this in mind, many companies now use contactless transactions.
Whether you’re booking flight and hotel reservations, or purchasing food from self ordering kiosks, contact-free payments are popular options. Due to the convenience, this is one of the tourism trends that’s making its way to other industries.
5. Local Product Suggestions
Mobile apps and connectivity features allow hospitality businesses to target their ideal customer profile. As customers use the app, location-specific elements will be part of their shopping experience.
For instance, if someone is on vacation at a resort franchise, an app can provide personalized suggestions. It will allow the products and services to be more targeted, making it more likely to maximize profits where it’s feasible.
6. Food Deliveries, Wherever You Are
7. Custom Packages
Have you ever decided against purchasing a package simply because you’re not a fan of every included product? With this concept in mind, just think about how many customers might opt against purchasing memberships or excursions due to a strict itemization.
Whether you operate golf course management, are about to renovate a high tech cruise ship, or are revamping country club marketing tactics, allow consumers to choose what they pay for. Not only will this result in major growth opportunities down the road, but it will prevent potential customers from backing out of the sales funnel.
8. Gamified Travel Planning
When companies gamify their products, it usually involves turning standard procedures into a game. One thing to note is that in almost all gamified experiences, a point system is typically used in some capacity.
A restaurant loyalty program or another kind of customer rewards program in the hospitality industry can be the ultimate game changer (again, no pun intended). Not only do loyalty perks attract new customers, but they incentivize past customers to come back.
Frequently Asked Questions About Tourism Trends
Tourism trends continue to get increasingly innovative. Such trends help shape the entire ecosystem into a whole new space. If you’re operating a business within the industry, it’s vital to keep up with various tourism trends.
Would you like a recap of tourism trends and their impact on the industry? Read on to learn more!
What Are the Current Trends In Sustainable Tourism?
Some of the most popular trends in sustainable tourism right now include:
- Eco-friendly restaurants
- Paperless systems
- Reusable dishware and glassware
- Energy-efficient restaurant equipment
What Is the Meaning of Trends In Tourism and Hospitality?
The meaning of trends in tourism and hospitality refers to new ideas in the space. It also refers to new and emerging products, services, and technologies within the industry.
What Are the Current Trends and Technologies In Tourism?
To name a few, current trends and technologies in tourism include:
- Artificial intelligence
- Virtual reality activities
- Digital tours
- Contactless guest services
- In-room dining options
- Digital devices in eateries
What Is the Future of Tourism?
The travel and tourism industry is on the rise. On a global scale, consumers have been seeking travel excursions post-pandemic more than ever. As companies generate more profits and exposure, the industry will advance as a whole. New technologies and trends will emerge, continuing to shape tourism and travel.
What Are the Technology Trends In the Hospitality Industry?
Virtual travel planning, online booking platforms, and digital ordering are some current trends in the hospitality industry. In recent years, companies throughout the industry have been using tech solutions. In doing so, they are now able to scale business with a competitive edge.